As we approach the end of term and the end of another year, I have been looking back at some of the fantastic things that are going on at marketing@wlv HQ. Not all Christmas gifts come wrapped and, since I took charge of this department just three months ago, I have experienced much to feel thankful for, so I wanted to share some seasonal cheer with you!
This has been a busy term with lots of great experiences for our students: Lisa, Rob, Steve, Ian and Josh took students to SME Live for a great day interacting with businesses, while trips to Drayton Manor Park, Fixed Wheel Brewery, Jaguar LandRover, among others, took place, and we listened to some fantastic guest speakers in the form of Professor Malcolm McDonald and Stuart Banbery from Oslo to name just two. And Liz had a gorgeous baby boy to add to our MEL family!
But there are some initiatives in particular, which I am grateful for and would like to share with you:
– Hajrija’s inaugural Women in Business conference is already a sell-out and promises to be a great event in January, and the first of many, we hope!
– Thomas’s Entrepreneurs Club is doing great work recognising the achievements of our student entrepreneurs and encouraging them to pursue their business dreams alongside their studies.
– If you have been in one of Amanda’s classes then your feet haven’t touched the ground this semester with trips every other week to places such as Banks’ Brewery, the BBC Good Food Show, and The Crown.
– Lisa has helped her students to organise their own local version of SME Live for Black Country businesses at The Science Park; and her Social Media Champions initiative is starting to make a fantastic impact in the life of the Business School.
– Steve has established a fantastic link with Ironbridge Museum which we hope will provide lots of different opportunities for our students.
– Roya was invited to be the Keynote Speaker at a Gastronomy conference in Turkey and was such as success that they have asked her to come back every year from now on!
There are many more things I could mention but these are just a few of the ‘gifts’ I am grateful for this Christmas. Remember, in amongst all the commercial glitz and glamour of Christmas, that some gifts can’t be wrapped!
After all the activity and hard work of this term, I wish all the staff and students of the Marketing, Enterprise and Leisure department at the University of Wolverhampton a peaceful and relaxing Christmas and I’m looking forward to what 2019 will bring…